Sunday, February 09, 2014

National Bird Feeding Month

Taking a switch from the previous two monthly events, February also marks National Bird Feeding Month. Another United States designated holiday, National Bird Feeding Month seeks to “educate the public on the wild bird feeding and watching hobby.” John Porter declared this an event in 1994. 
I don’t know how many of you have had the experience of feed a wild bird, but I have to tell you, it’s pretty neat. In a park close to where I grew up, there is a man who goes everyday to feed chickadees (and whatever other birds happen to be willing participants!). I have had the pleasure of meeting up with this man on several occasions, and as a result was given the opportunity to have chickadees eat seed out of the palm of my hand. The lightness of their bodies on my hand is probably one of the most unique experiences I have ever had. I had no idea how little they weighed, and was filled with such delight upon experiencing it! I think its encounters such as these that allow us to understand the value and beauty of nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment