Friday, June 14, 2013

Let Us Get Re-Acquainted!


Note: Due to an unfortunate and unforeseen personal event, I apologize for the delay in updating you on each day’s National Holiday from May 22 until today (June 14). For those of you who have contacted me, thank you for your concern and understanding. Your patience and support during this difficult time has been appreciated.

Now that we’re back, let’s see what we’ve missed:

May 22: National Buy-A-Musical Instrument Day
Music is such an important part of developing a child’s (well, any person’s, really) creativity. This holiday is an effort to get potential and already existing musicians to purchase an instrument and learn to play it, or to try something new!
May 23: World Turtle Day
World Turtle Day is a day to celebrate the awesomeness of turtles! When I think of turtles, though, I think fondly of the VP-Academic at Acadia University who happens to LOVE turtles! This, of course, resulted in my having to sing him the theme song to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Sure, this seems like not such a big deal, except that it was the first time I had ever met him…I’m sure he wondered how I ever got accepted!
May 24: National Escargot Day
National Escargot Day is meant to show appreciation of such a delicacy. Escargot can be served in many forms, such as garlic butter, wine or with various herbs in an oil base…or as my brother’s roommate would suggest, with Kumquats. Please note I do not, in any way, endorse such a combination.
UPDATE (June 30, 2013):
Dear friends, 
As noted above, the suggestion of marrying escargot with kumquats was suggested as being a good combination. To be fair, the person responsible for this very suggestion had neither previously tried escargot, nor had knowledge of what a kumquat was, and most certainly was not serious about this suggestion. Regardless, I challenged him to try it. The escargot were prepared and with a mouthful of each component of the pairing, I must say it wasn't...awful. BUT, it also wasn't great. So, the moral of the story is, a) don't make silly food suggestions and not expect me to call you on it, and b) give silly food suggestions a try. Even though this didn't turn out to be the greatest thing ever, I have certainly consumed much worse! You've won this round, sir.
May 25: International Geek Pride Day
Woo! International Geek Pride Day! Geeks make the world a better place. Need I say more?
            May 26: National Blueberry Cheesecake Day
While cheesecake is anything less than my favourite thing to eat, I find it appropriate that this day, in particular, was a cheesecake related holiday. The blueberry factor is irrelevant, just that it was one of my Mom’s fave things to make, and this was the day we said goodbye to her.
            May 27: National Grape Popsicle Day
This marks a fairly good holiday, but would be better if it were just National Grape POP Day! Grape Crush was the best! Is that still made? If so what about the lime flavor? We used to drink that by the flat in the summer when we were kids!
            May 28: National Hamburger Day
Who doesn’t love a good hamburger? Well, apparently not many, because they made it a holiday to celebrate them! Traditionally, hamburgers are made with ground beef, but nowadays they can be made with a variety of meats including pork, chicken, and even a soy-based version.
            May 29: International Day of United Nations Peacekeepers
United Nations Peacekeepersmonitor and observe peace processes in post-conflict areas and assist ex-combatants in implementing the peace agreements they may have signed. Such assistance comes in many forms, including confidence-building measures, power-sharing arrangements, electoral support, strengthening the rule of law, and economic and social development.” That about sums it up.
            May 30: National My Bucket’s Got A Hole In It Day
Now, I’m not sure of this is fact or not, but I believe this holiday is a celebration of the loveable children’s song, “There’s A Hole In My Bucket.” Do not quote me on this, but I feel that I am correct…maybe…I hope…
            May 31: National Speak in Complete Sentences Day
This holiday is one that many of us need to practice everyday! So. Do that. Eh?
            June 1: National Go Barefoot Day
Okay, I’m not going to lie, at first I thought this was National Go BIGfoot Day, and I thought, Whoa! Bigfoot is awesome! But, it turns out it’s a day to let your feet lose and go barefoot! This of course, is actually way better to me than Bigfoot day, but I’ll leave this one up to you!
            June 2: National Bubba Day
Today is National Bubba Day. I in no way know what this means, but today is for my Mom. You see, she recently passed away, and one of the things that stressed her most in life, was her neighbor Bubba. When I was beginning to look at the National Days ahead, I saw this day, and made a note, which read, “for Mom.” I’m not sure what I was supposed to write, but Muj, this was supposed to be for you!
            June 3: National Egg Day
What an egg-cellent holiday! How shell we celebrate? Not diggin’ my yokes, eh? Well then, perhaps I should move on… you know what eggs are, and you either like them or you don’t. Personally, I prefer them in chocolate, mini form.
June 4: International Day of Innocent Children Victims of Aggression/Hug Your Cat Day
This dual national day is both pleasant and disheartening. On the one hand, who doesn’t love to snuggle their cat? On the other hand, children should not be subjected to abuse in any form (mind you, neither should animals or any other human for that matter). Unfortunately, as we see all to often on news reports, there are far too many instances of child abuse. This needs to stop. Insert excellent/important awareness day.
            June 5: World Environment Day
Many of you probably associate me with being an environmentalist, and yes, I probably did too. But, I’m learning this isn’t so much the case, I’m more so an anthropocentric-minded looking for ways to enable my species to endure on this planet as long as possible, hence requiring the planet to be in a state of continual health and human-centered productivity. I’m not sure if this fits into the goals of World Environment Day, but its how I’m feeling. So there! It’s also my little Snip's birthday!

            June 6: National Yo-Yo Day
Yo-yo’s are pretty fun…if you can do the tricks! A yo-yo is “an object consisting of an axle connected to two disks, and a length of twine looped around the axle, similar to a slender spool. It is played by holding the free end of the string (usually by inserting one finger in a slip knot) allowing gravity or the force of a throw to spin the yo-yo and unwind the string (similar to how a pullstring works), then allowing the yo-yo to wind itself back to one's hand, exploiting its spin (and the associated rotational energy).” I tried to find a cool inforgraphic to give you an idea of the various tricks one can do with a yo-yo…this is what I found:

            June 7: National VCR Remembrance Day
Ah, VCRs, or videocassette recorders as they are properly known! Remember how the tape used to get caught in the machine, and one of your parents (or yourself) would curse out loud trying to get it untangled and workable?! Good times. It’s amazing to think just how much, and yet how little the technology has changed. I hope you were all able to take a moment to reflect on past VCR experiences. In case you were not able to on June 7, I ask that you now take a few moments and pay your respects to a technology so many of us used to pass the days of our childhood!
            June 8: National Ocean’s Day
National Ocean’s Day is intended to celebrate and appreciate all that the ocean and its many parts and organisms provide us (and, really the planet as a whole!). Its pretty crazy to think just how much we rely on the health and productivity of the ocean, and also just how much our species has begun to destroy it! Don’t believe me? Check out this documentary, called Garbage Island!
            June 9: National Donald Duck Day
What is there really to say about Donald Duck? Well, he was created by Walt Disney in 1934 and is one of the most popular Disney characters of all time! He has appeared in 178 movies (while poor ‘ol Mickey has only had 137)! He is known as having either a positive outlook or a short temper. Hmmm…some might describe me in the same light!
            June 10: National Iced Tea Day
Iced tea is “a form of cold tea, usually served in a glass with ice. It may or may not be sweetened.” There are many variations depending on various cultural preferences around the world! Some are made from actual tea, while others are made with a powdered mix!
            June 11: National Corn on the Cob Day
Okay, so I think it’s pretty safe to say that corn on the cob is amazing! I love it with a heap of butter and a load of pepper, or sometimes (and just go with me on this one), cooked and cold out of the fridge! Regardless of how I or anyone else prefers it, I think it goes without saying that this delicious veg deserves a day in its honour!
            June 12: National Peanut Butter Cookie Day
Yuuuummmmm peanut butter cookies! I’m not much of a cookie fan, but I gotta say, I do enjoy a little PB cookie action from time to time! My summer roommate has me hooked on a gluten free version, which I’m pretty certain with a few key ingredients we added is the filling of Reese’s famous Cups! Just sayin’! Plus, they are super good raw! Oh cookie dough, how I have underestimated your awesomeness!
            June 13: National Lobster Day
As an Atlantic Canadian, I feel today’s holiday is important! Lobster is an amazing snack, dinner, chip flavor…or so I’m told. You see, when I learned about these lobster-flavored chips, I was pretty excited about the idea. So, I did what any lobster loving person would do – I flirted with the chip guy from work until he brought me in a bag to try. But, it turns out after months of hard work, they contained soy, so it was a no-go for me! Apparently they just taste like BBQ chips! Lobster is, in fact, the topic of a lot of debate in my region of the world. Fishermen are in constant battle with the government to set better pricing regulations, as they are no longer able to charge fair prices due to market demands. So many people rely on these jobs/profits to provide for their families. While I see both sides, I think a happy medium should certainly be sought!
            June 14: National Blood Donor Day
Okay, so blood donation is something we need to truly appreciate! Every year millions of liters are required to help save lives! According to the Canadian Blood Services website “approximately every minute of every day, someone in Canada needs blood.” That’s pretty significant, folks! This isn’t even always just for accident victims, this can be for various surgeries, cancer treatments, etc. Sure, the idea of having a needle shoved in your arm is kind of terrifying, but really it’s only a few minutes of YOUR life, that could make a lifetime of a difference to someone else! So, what’s your excuse for not going?! Make an appointment with your local blood donor clinic today, and help change a life or two! Plus…you get good cookies after you’re through!

So there you have it folks! There is your update on the National Holidays you’ve missed out on! Thank you again for your patience during the past few weeks. Stay tuned tomorrow for the regular scheduled blog updates, along with poll questions!

Have you missed the poll questions? Click here to participate in a bonus “make-up” poll!

No comments:

Post a Comment