Monday, November 11, 2013

Veteran's Day/Remembrance Day


I suppose saying Happy Veteran’s Day is inappropriate. Nonetheless, it is indeed Veteran’s Day, or perhaps more commonly known in Canada as, Remembrance Day.
(Image found at: www.cbc.ca)
 Veteran’s Day is the American celebration, while Remembrance Day is “a memorial day observed in Commonwealth countries since the end of World War I to remember the members of their armed forces who have died in the line of duty.” The reason Remembrance Day is observed each year on November 11 is “to recall the end of hostilities of World War I on that date in 1918.” It is said that the war ended on the “11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month” and is now signified by the observation of one minute of silence at this time of day. Another way we observe this Day is by wearing a poppy. These are meant to symbolize the bravery the young men and women at that time showed while fighting for our freedom. Recently there has been some controversy on what the red poppy represents, but I will not go any further into that debate today, as I feel it is disrespectful to do so today.

I find this day to be quite somber. I had the honour of not only having a Grandfather who survived the war, but also volunteering with many veterans in a local hospital. The stories shared by both my Grandfather and the men and women I volunteered with were extraordinary. I found it unbelievable how many of them had experienced such horrific things, and yet had these incredibly positive outlooks on life. Those few years I spent in that hospital are without a doubt some of the most treasured moments of my life. I often find myself reflecting on that experience, and when I do, I immediately feel so lucky to be living in the country I am.

I hope that today, each and everyone of you takes a moment or two to consider the sacrifice these men and women made so that we could be free today.
If you would like to vote on the Daily Poll, please click here

No comments:

Post a Comment