Saturday, October 05, 2013

National Long Walk Day


How appropriate! Today marks National Long Walk Day, and I will be on a journey in the woods, which will begin with a long walk!

Walks of any kind are wonderful AND important. But, a long walk ensures you have ample time to think, process, and/or relax. They can be enjoyed one your own, or with a friend or family member. I enjoy both, myself, but it is entirely dependent on my mood and who might be accompanying me. I think I inherited this from my wonderful Mom, used to walk every morning before work, and if the weather was good enough, usually after supper as well. Now, when I am in times of stress or heartbreak or just needing to clear my head, I go for a walk.

I had a friend who, whenever I seemed to be experiencing a rough time, would show up at my house or would meet me somewhere and we would walk. Sometimes these would be short walks, but most often they would be lengthy walks filled with deep conversations about life. When my Mom passed away, this became a good method of healing and processing what I was experiencing. This friend later confessed that they didn’t know what else to do, which never occurred to me, because it always felt like this was their natural way of handling things.

Anyway, the point being, long walks are a positive part of life that cost zero dollars, and yet provide great benefits. Aside from the mental health benefits associated with exercise (walking), there is also the physical health bit. Sadly, I think we take this for granted! So today, on this lovely day, grab a friend, or go out on your own. Explore your community or head to a new place and take in the surroundings!

Now, before you head out there (and I mean out! No treadmills people!), do me a favour and vote on the Daily Poll!

No comments:

Post a Comment