Tuesday, October 01, 2013

World Vegetarian Day


It’s a new month, and what other way to celebrate than with a food-related Day. Soooooo….Happy World Vegetarian Day! I know what you meat-eaters are thinking, why would we want to celebrate a day dedicated to people who eat plants and only plants?! Well, I’ll tell you why!

Vegetarianism is “the practice of abstaining from the consumption of meat.” There are many reasons why someone would choose to become vegetarian, such as religion, ethical reasons, health concerns, environmental issues, and many more. There are also several different types of vegetarianism: “an ovo-vegetarian diet includes eggs but not dairy products, a lacto-vegetarian diet includes dairy products but not eggs, and an ovo-lacto vegetarian diet includes both eggs and dairy products. A vegan, or strict vegetarian, diet excludes all animal products, including eggs, dairy, beeswax and honey.” There are also semi-vegetarians, such as myself, who will only eat certain products. I am a newly adopted pescetarian, meaning I will happily consume fish. For me, this was due to food allergies, and also wanted to reduce my consumption of environmentally damaging products (livestock). I know this also makes me semi-hypocritical, but it’s a start. If I could be a full on vegan or vegetarian, I probably would be, but being as I have an allergy to soy, it places additional limitations on what I can consume in regards to protein. Plus, I love fish…so it’s hard for me to give that up! I also find that eating large amounts of meat makes me feel tired and yuck.

So, for today, why not try to eat a vegetarian diet, or even just try a vegetarian meal?! Have fun experimenting with the many options available online!

It’s also World Smile Day…so you should do that. A lot. Today. Don’t forget to vote on the Daily Poll. Click here to do so. 

No comments:

Post a Comment