Tuesday, January 15, 2013

National Hat Day


Happy National Hat Day! Appropriately, National Hat Day takes place in what is typically the coldest time of the year. It’s like Mother Nature says, “Welcome back to school kids. Now, have fun walking…” and then laughs the most evil chuckle imaginable!

In case you maybe thinking to yourself, “Hey! What’s a hat, anyway?” I checked in with my good friends at Wikipedia (or Winkietapedia, as it is affectionately known in my house). They offer the following definition: “A hat is a head covering.” I think that pretty well sums it up. Thankfully, they follow it up with “It can be worn for protection against the elements, for ceremonial or religious reasons, for safety, or as a fashion accessory.”

Hats have been around for a long time. The modern use for them, however, became popular in the 19th century. Hats, also, come in many shapes and sizes. Did you know that there are 4 main parts to a hat? Me either! The four main parts are:
1.     The Crown
2.     The Peak
3.     The Brim
4.     The Puggaree (in English you ask?: sweatband!)
For more information, a.k.a. a visual, check out this lovely illustration.

            Here's a picture of me in my hat:

                And a little less me, with a little more awesome hat!


No comments:

Post a Comment