Wednesday, January 09, 2013

National Static Electricity Day


Remember when you were a kid (…or earlier today) when you would rub a balloon against you, and then putting it up to your hair to see how the static pulls each strand towards the balloon? Well, since today is National Static Electricity Day, I hereby grant you permission to repeat this fun, childhood activity in the name of such a wonderful day!

Did you know that static electricity is caused by large electrical charges found on the surface of a particular object, i.e. the balloon. For a clear explanation of how static electricity works, check out Science Made Simple.

C'est moi and my lovely assistant, the balloon:


Rubbing the balloon against my hair:


Aaaaaannnnndddddd the static:

A big thanks to my roommate, Lyndsey, for being my photographer for this experiment!


No comments:

Post a Comment