Friday, October 18, 2013

National Alaska Day/National Long Distance Day


Today is both National Alaska Day AND National Long Distance Day, which is funny because Alaska is a pretty long distance from where I am!

Alaska is the 49th state in the United States. It is the 4th least populated state. The Alaskan economy thrives of off “the oil, natural gas, and fishing industries,” as well as tourism. Within the state there are six regions: South Central, Southeast (where the capital, Juneau is located and where I spent the majority of my time while I visited Alaska!), Interior, Southwest, North Slope, and the Aleutian Islands.
Downtown Juneau and Douglas from Mt. Roberts
Stephen's Passage, Juneau
My train in Skagway
Me panning for gold, with my delightful tour guide, Justin. Does anyone know who exactly this guy is? He happens to be the only one from my trip that I didn't stay in contact with, and he was awesome!
Fun Alaska Fact: “Of the 20 highest peaks in the United States, 17 are in Alaska.” Meanwhile, there are approximately 100 000 glaciers within the state!
Mendenhall Glacier, Juneau

South Sawyer Glacier
Sawyer Glacier, with a little bit of calving!
Juneau Icefield
So there you have it! Alaska is fascinating. And, actually, I must say, I truly believe it is one place that everyone should go. It was the first vacation I ever took by myself, and it was incredible! Forget the distance (it was almost 24 hours of travel each way!)! Go for the experience. Alaska offers so much beauty and culture.

Don’t forget to vote on the Daily Poll

No comments:

Post a Comment