Saturday, February 16, 2013

National Almond Day


Oh great! Well if it isn’t yet another day I’m allergic to! This is two in one week! Oh well, I suppose I should wish everyone a Happy National Almond Day!

Almonds are actually a type of tree, although the fruit is edible, which is what we think of as “almonds.” Almond trees can grow from 13-33 feet high! They can be eaten as is, or in various baked goods. Almonds are also a common ingredient in many beauty products.

Fun Almond Fact: Thanks to the “Environmental History” course I took with the one and only Dr. Duke who I have mentioned before, I can tell you that almonds naturally contain cyanide. In fact, they used to hold such high concentrations that they were (and still are in wild form) lethal to humans. Good thing we’ve learned to modify everything to our own benefit, eh?!

No comments:

Post a Comment