Saturday, February 23, 2013

National Dog Biscuit Day


Happy National Dog Biscuit Day! I’m not quite sure why I’m so happy about this day, being as the mention of dog biscuits brings up some terrible memories from my childhood. Why couldn’t my mom just stay home???

A dog biscuit, according to Wikipedia, is “a hard biscuit-based dietary supplement for dogs or other canine, similar to human snack food.” They, as mentioned in the definition above, are usually hard and dry, and often come in a “dog bone” shape. The purpose of dog biscuits is to promote good oral hygiene, and like us humans, have a treat from time to time! These puppy treats are thought to have originated during Roman times and were made from bran. However, what we currently see on the market today appears to have started in England in the 1800s. These biscuits incorporated vegetables in their ingredients, along with oatmeal.  

So, I’m sure by now you’re probably wondering what horrific event may have befallen such a young girl that would leave her so scarred after all these years. Well, let me tell you! It all takes place in the back seat of my brother’s friend’s mom’s car (Wow, that took a lot to describe just who’s car this took place in). She wasn’t in the car at the time, probably looking for my mom. I was left alone with my brother and his friend and this friend’s sister. I, of course, was the youngest of the bunch. We were parked in the parking lot of the local community center. It was supposed to be a safe zone, however for little me, it was anything but. Now is the time in the story I feel it’s important to mention that this friend’s mom was looking after my brother and I after school on this particular occasion, since our mom (a single mother) was working. This friend’s mom also happened to be a veterinarian and had a few boxes of dog biscuits sitting in the car. Do you see where this is going yet? Anyway, these three older kids took no time finding my emotional weakness – my mother’s unconditional love. Insert unopened box of dog biscuits and a very convincing story about how my mother would no longer love me if I didn’t proceed to consume the entire box. I will admit: I was not a bright kid. I thought the skin of a kiwi was werewolf skin for goodness sakes! I also was to the understanding that it was Bob Seger, not Santa Claus, that came down the chimney at C-mas! I must also confess that I was probably 6 or 7 at the time of this story. And I shall also confess that if ever you find yourself faced with this same dilemma, the green one’s taste the best…

And, in case I've left any of you wondering if there was any sort of possibility that it would have been easy for a little me to mix up Bob Seger and Santa Claus, I give you Exhibit A:

                                   Santa Claus:                                Bob Seger:

 

So, as you can see...there's an obvious similarity, right?! ...right? 


No comments:

Post a Comment