Thursday, February 21, 2013

National Sticky Bun Day


Happy National Sticky Bun Day everyone! Wow! This week is full of delicious treats! It’s a good thing I’m sticking to my exercise related New Year’s Resolution, because when it comes to these sorts of things, I always remember what my grade 11 math teacher taught us: A moment on the lips, a lifetime on the hips! And NO ONE wants a sticky bun on their hip!

Sticky buns are usually sweetened rolls that are good anytime of the day: from breakfast to late night snack! They have lots of sugar and just enough cinnamon to make them appear to be healthy. It is because of the honey or syrup that is often loaded on top of these baked treats, that they get their name. They can be baked as is or with added ingredients, such as nuts or fruit. My Mom often makes them with raisins or dried cranberries! Yum! Not so yummy, when my Dad makes some comment about his “sticky buns,” if you know what I mean… Even though his homemade sticky buns taste good, that image has been permanently filed under “things that should never be said!”

Back to the actual topic at hand! The origin of the “Sticky Bun” is thought to be 18th century Germany. They were initially known as "Schnecken," which apparently means “worm” according to Google Translate, while Wikipedia says it means “snails”. As I’m not fluent in German, I’m not sure which, if either, is correct. Might one of my German speaking readers be able to clarify?

No comments:

Post a Comment