Sunday, February 03, 2013

National Carrot Day/National Wedding Ring Day


Today I am wishing you a Happy National Carrot Day, as well as a Happy Wedding Ring Day! I think this is fitting, as the consumption of carrots should improve your eyesight in order to select the best ring possible. Well played, Unofficial Holiday Creator Gods! With Valentine’s Day creeping up (only 11 days remain…), I think it’s very thoughtful to have a National Holiday geared to giving a little reminder to anyone wishing to use such a “romantic” day to pop the question, to maybe get out there and get shopping! There’s not a lot of time left people!

No-so Fun Wedding Ring Fact: Did you know in order to produce just two gold wedding bands six tons of waste are produced through the mining and processing practices?! That’s crazy! One more tick in the “reasons not to get married” box! It also proves my theory, by providing another reason why Beyoncé is incorrect in telling men around the world to “put a ring on it!” I mean, who is she to tell the masses what to do? Sure, she has millions to spend on such things, but I highly doubt she’s willing to pay for some random couple’s engagement ring, because they simply can’t afford to follow her advice! Side note: I was just prompted to spell check how I spelled “Beyoncé” because I didn’t include the “é”. She’s taking over EVERYTHING! …end rant on BeyoncÉ…

Enough of this wedding ring talk, let’s talk about one of my favorite vegetables: Carrots. Carrots are a root vegetable that originally derived from parts of Europe and Asia. (Thank you Dr. Duke for engraining this otherwise useless knowledge into my memory, to use as to educate the masses!)  Carrots contain a high amount of beta-carotene, which is what gives them their beautiful, bright orange color. It is also this beta-carotene, which provides us with vitamin A. Why is this important? Well, this is the reason we tend to think carrots improve our eyesight! This of course, is myth, but vitamin A does help in the eyesight department. Carrots are good just on their own to snack on, as a colorful side dish, or thrown into a lovely winter soup!

Fun Carrot Fact: Carrots have been used to treat digestive problems (including intestinal parasites and constipation) and even tonsillitis!

Kind of off topic, but does anyone else think its funny that National Carrot Day and National Wedding Ring Day are on the same day? Okay, so maybe that’s not actually funny, but I envisioned some terrified young man presenting his prospective fiancé with a beautiful diamond ring on a carrot, instead of in a ring box. Either I’m losing it due to excessive school related workloads, or my brother’s unintentional attempt to drown me as a baby, matched with several pushes down the stairs in a laundry basket during my important developmental stages are finally catching up to me… 

No comments:

Post a Comment