Monday, February 11, 2013

National Don't Cry Over Spilled Milk Day


Well, well, well, if it isn’t National Don’t Cry Over Spilled Milk Day! Its here for its annual taunt, because I can’t have cow, and it happens to be MY day! Okay, so really this is about an old saying, not about teasing me for my inability to consume delicious cows and their byproducts! Let’s investigate.

*preforms Google search*

Hmmm…it turns out this is more complicated than I thought. I have discovered two different plausible origins of this infamous phrase, from essentially the same source! 
The first suggests the phrase originated in the United States sometime during the Great Depression, when the price of cow’s milk was had plummeted due to the abundance of supply as compared with demand. Because of this, farmers received subsidies, which enabled them to make ends meet, even though they essentially had to destroy what ever was left over. The second is more of a metaphor to tell those subject to the phrase that a particular mistake or failure is not a big deal. When one does something silly, such as spill a glass of milk, it’s easy to just pick up the pieces and clean up, as opposed to sulking about it.  I’m not really sure which is correct; I feel there may be a truth in both! Either way, I hope we all rid ourselves of the “milk” we may have spilled over the years…it surely must be pretty sour smelling by now!

1 comment: