Wednesday, February 13, 2013

World Radio Day


Ahhhh Breaker, breaker this is World Radio Day! Okay, so when we think of radios, it’s usually not a ham (or amateur, as its also known) radio!

A radio is “is the wireless transmission of signals through free space by electromagnetic radiation of a frequency significantly below that of visible light, in the radio frequency range, from about 30 kHz to 300 GHz.” What does that mean in English, you ask? How am I supposed to know! I’m majoring in Hippie for goodness sakes!

Did you know that the “AM” associated with radio, as in what we listen to the news, music, etc. on stands for amplitude modulation, while the “FM” is the abbreviated form of Frequency modulation. Again, I don’t full know the story, here, but I did find this website to explain it all! It seems pretty good, and it’s for kids…so there are lots of bright colors and rainbows!

This probably isn’t what you were expecting as far as “radio education” goes. To be honest, it wasn’t what I thought I was getting into for today either. I figured I’d rant about how radios play the same 4 songs over and over, but then I thought, I’ve been ranting a lot lately. So, I figured I’d give you a bit of a break! If you’d like to learn more about World Radio Day, head to it’s official website for more details!

            Wishing you all a most excellent World Radio Day! 10-4…

No comments:

Post a Comment