Sunday, November 10, 2013

National Forget-Me-Not Day


Today is National Forget-Me-Not Day! Forget-me-nots are a type of flower with over 100 different variations. 
(Image found at: http://pphotography-blog.blogspot.ca/2012/01/forget-me-not-flower.html)
These simple, yet beautiful flowers were used, historically, as “a symbol of remembrance of that nation's war dead.” This practice took place mostly in Newfoundland, Canada, but is still done today. I think it plays an important role in remembering the many men and women who gave their lives to provide us with the freedom, we in the Global North, have come to value today.

I hope you will vote on the Daily Poll. Click here to do so. As a bonus, and not to make light of what today is actually representative of, here’s Glass Tiger’s “Don’t Forget Me When I’m Gone” a household classic. Enjoy:


No comments:

Post a Comment