Monday, November 25, 2013

National Parfait Day


Today is National Parfait Day! A parfait is a “French word literally meaning "perfect" commonly employed to describe a kind of frozen dessert.” Apparently these desserts began to surface around 1894! 

There are many variations of parfait, and in some cases it depends on where you are. For example, in France, they consist of “a base of sugar syrup, egg, and cream,” and in some cases they contain alcohol. These are a homemade treat that require minimal household tools to create. However, our American friends have a slightly different way of what “perfect” looks like. While the traditional French method can certainly be found in the US, the more popular version is actually “made by layering parfait cream, ice cream, and/or flavored gelatins in a tall, clear glass, and topping the creation with whipped cream, fresh or canned fruit, and/or liqueurs.” 

I know for me personally, I identify most with this American style. As a child, we used to get a Peanut Buster Parfait from Dairy Queen as a treat every once in a while… except, I think I usually had caramel sauce instead of the chocolate. 
(Image found at: http://www.dairyqueen.com)
To be honest, I’m not sure I’ve ever had the traditional Parfait. What about you? Vote on the Daily Poll by clicking here!

No comments:

Post a Comment