Thursday, April 25, 2013

National Zucchini Day


To my sushi-friend, Katie, this is your day – Happy National Zucchini Day! 

Zucchinis are “a summer squash which can reach nearly a meter in length, but which is usually harvested at half that size or less.” They are also a veg in which the spelling just never seems right…

Zucchinis originate in the Americas, however they were introduced in Italy sometime in the late 19th century. From here, several varieties were produced, the early varieties being named after surrounding cities. They make an excellent addition to many dishes, including one of my favourites, stir-fry!

Fun Zucchini Fact: A 2005 poll indicated that zucchini was Britain’s 10th favourite vegetable!

Zucchinis appear to be fairly easy to grow. I speak from experience when I say this, as they were one of my few successes last summer. Fortunately for my friend, Katie, she benefitted from my zucchini-growing abilities.  Hopefully this summer will prove to be even better, and that I grow more than just zukes! In the meantime, don’t forget to vote on today’s poll by click here!

No comments:

Post a Comment