Friday, March 08, 2013

International Grandmothers Day/National Farmer’s Day


Today is International Grandmothers Day. While most of you will read this and reflect on your own, I believe the purpose of today is to recognize and show our support and recognition to the many grandmother’s placed in difficult situations. One of my hero’s, Stephen Lewis, has played an integral role in make sure these incredibly inspirational ladies are receiving the support and coverage they deserve.

I remember seeing Mr. Lewis speak at a function I was attending with my own grandmother. As a young student, I was bubbling with excitement knowing that I would be sharing the same room with a man whom I had never met, but had inspired me greatly. Little did I know, this same night not only was I given the opportunity to meet and speak with Mr. Lewis, but also have my entire life change. In his speech, he spoke about many encounters with women raising not their own children, but their grandchildren. He spoke of their commitment and strength to ensuring these new generations would succeed, and they did so selflessly. For many, the reason for this situation was that their children had not survived the very fight against HIV/AIDS the Mr. Lewis has worked tirelessly to eradicate.

That day was 8 years ago, and today I am a year away from completing a degree that will be the first big step towards making a difference in these communities. I think it is unbelievably important to take a moment and just think about the sacrifice these women are making. Could you do it if you were put in this same situation? To learn more about the work of Stephen Lewis, head to the Stephen Lewis Foundation website for information on how to get involved in the conversation.

Not to take away from such an importance of the Grandmother’s I have mentioned above, but today also happens to be National Farmer’s Day. While I don’t plan on go into any great deal here, I think it is important to note the work these men and women partake in everyday just to allow you to put food on your table. I took a stab at farming this past summer and learned how tough the job is. I’m not sure I would ever want to take it on as an occupation, but I certainly found solitude in the work involved. I look forward to have a small property of my own in years to come, with enough space to start a small hobby farm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment