Saturday, March 23, 2013

National Energy Education Day

Happy National Energy Education Day! 

Energy can be defined in multiple ways, but for the purposes of the educational value I wish to impart on you, I will be using the following definition: “a fundamental entity of nature that is transferred between parts of a system in the production of physical change within the system and usually regarded as the capacity for doing work.” There are many forms of energy such as:
·      Thermal energy
·      Electric energy
·      Nuclear energy         
·      Magnetic energy
·      Sound energy
·      Mass
Energy forms are considered to be a part of one of two different groups: kinetic or potential energy. Kinetic energy is “the work needed to accelerate a body of a given mass from rest to its stated velocity.” Potential energy is “the energy of an object or a system due to the position of the body or the arrangement of the particles of the system.” Additionally, it is possible to possess characteristics of both energy categories.

Thomas young was the first person to use the term “energy,” in 1807. And while there is much more history to learn about energy (done so easily by clicking the links throughout this post), I have run out of energy.
           
Haha, while looking up an energy related joke, I came across this. Being as I live in a university town, there is plenty of this goin’ on. A good solution, I must admit!


But, since I mentioned an energy joke, here it is:
A renewable energy scientist walks into a solar array and asks a panel Watt it could do for him.

One last thing - I’d like to give a little shout out to my roommate, Mandy, because today also happens to be National Toast Day! I hope today’s toast is as exciting and energy inducing as the ones previous!


No comments:

Post a Comment