Tuesday, March 19, 2013

National Agriculture Day


Happy National Agriculture Day…or not so happy when you look at the environmental impact that has been created since we became an agricultural society. But, I digress…

Agriculture is “is the cultivation of animals, plants, fungi, and other life forms for food, fiber, biofuel and other products used to sustain human life.” The sedentary lifestyles we now enjoy were enabled because of agriculture. This agricultural way of life date back somewhere between 12 000 – 10 000 years ago (and no, I don’t mean British Petroleum, Beyond Petroleum, or whatever they want to call themselves these days…).

Today, I am fortunate to live amongst one of the most incredible agricultural areas in Canada, and perhaps the world. I am able to enjoy fresh products from my local farmers, as I need it! As mentioned on National Farmer's Day  these families work hard to provide us with the food we put on our plates. Where we go wrong, isn’t necessarily by not appreciating their labour, but by consuming in such excessive quantities that they have to continually find more space and/or new (artificial) technologies to increase their efficiency. Regardless, I look forward to each meal I get to consume, and I’m thankful that I don’t have to hunt and gather my food. Some days this might be fun, but not EVERY day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment