Thursday, August 22, 2013

National Tooth Fairy Day


Happy National Tooth Fairy Day! Woot! This better mean we all wake up with money under our pillows!
(Actual representation of the Tooth Fairy found at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tooth_fairy)
The tooth fairy is a child’s dreams come true (aside from the terror of actually losing the tooth, and if you think this isn’t a thing, well then you’ve never painstakingly witnessed my cousin losing her first tooth – seriously giving birth seems easier!). As I alluded to above, “the folklore states that when a child loses a baby tooth, if he or she places it beneath the bed pillow, the tooth fairy will visit while the child sleeps, replacing the lost tooth with a small payment.” The origins of the tooth fairy are derived from Europe, in which is was customary to bury a babies tooth. Furthermore, it became tradition that when a child’s 6th tooth fell out, the parents would leave some sort of gift or amount of money under the pillow of the child as a reward. AND, if the parents were really cool, they’d even leave a trail of glitter on the floor!

Fun Tooth Fairy Fact: A 2011 survey concluded that an average American child receives – get this –  $2.60 per tooth! Dem kids be makin’ bank, yo!

And of course, no childhood tradition can go without its controversy! You see, for some, they feel that by creating such a tale for children to belief can be kind of cruel. In essence, you’re lying to your kid(s). To be honest, most times I kind of laugh at all the over-sensitivities that this society we have, has created, but this one I actually agree with. I just think it’s weird that we create these fictitious characters to taunt our children with, and then one day we say “just kidding” and expect them not to be hurt, sad, and feeling like they can’t trust us! Maybe it stems from the horrific way I found out about such things, but I just can’t get behind this sort of thing. Now, that’s not saying I wouldn’t give my kids money if they lost their teeth, I’m merely stating that I most likely won’t be caught feeding them the lie of an imaginary lady that steals their teeth in exchange for a small some of money. Actually…now that I say it out loud, doesn’t anyone else find that a little creepy?

Think $2.60 is a little crazy? Have your say buy voting on today’s daily poll

No comments:

Post a Comment