Saturday, August 03, 2013

National Watermelon Day


Yay! It’s National Watermelon Day! Watermelon is not actually a melon, but is closely related to them, so the melon-name is acceptable! They generally have a green exterior with dark green stripes, while the inside can be red, pink, white, yellow or orange! There are over 1200 different varieties.

It is believed that watermelon originate from Africa, where it is known to grow in the wild. China began cultivating it sometime in the 10th century and by the 13th century it was being grown in parts of Europe. Watermelons made their North American debut in the 16th century.

Fun Watermelon Fact: They contain 6% sugar and 91% water.

And, since it’s the summer time, it’s the perfect snack to cool down with on a hot sunny day! You know what else is cool? The daily poll. Click here to participate in today’s!

2 comments:

  1. 1200 different varieties?!? I heard there were 300 which blew me away. 1200... wow!

    I love watermelon, what I like to do is get some chopped watermelon, crush up a meringue nest, mix it all together and put a bit of cream in and it's a pretty decent dessert. http://bit.ly/16iI6Ky

    By the way I love this website - I've been looking for somewhere that talks about national/international days for a while! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment, Mike. I'm glad you enjoy the blog - it's fun to write! I hope you keep following!

    By the way, that watermelon idea sounds pretty tasty! :)

    ReplyDelete