Tuesday, December 24, 2013

National Eggnog Day


Today is National (blah, blag, barf) Eggnog Day. 
(Image found at: http://blog.thestarrconspiracy.com/truth/tis-the-season-for-eggnog-2/)
Okay, so the implied sound effects are not actually part of the Day, it’s just the reaction the focus of today causes me. Eggnog, or Gagnog as I affectionately call it, is “a sweetened dairy-based beverage traditionally made with milk and/or cream, sugar, and whipped eggs (which gives it a frothy texture).” To make it sound even less appetizing, for those of us who do not like it, some call it Egg Milk Punch! Yuck! 
Eggnog is found mainly in Canada and the United States, and as I’m sure you can guess by the fact it’s recognized day is none other than Christmas Eve, it’s generally associated with being a Christmas drink. It is also at this time of year, that many add a drop of rum, vodka, or whiskey (ANY TYPE OF ALCHOHOL TO TAKE A WAY FROM ITS HEINOUS TASTE!). Although as stated previously that this popular Christmas beverage is found predominantly in the US and Canada, it origins are believed to be across the pond, in England sometime during the Middle Ages. Today due to its popularity and growing allergens, there are several non-dairy varieties of Eggnog, including soy-based and rice. 
Anyway, if you do happen to like this festive drink, I hope I haven’t ruined it for you. To be honest I’m not sure I’ve really ever had it before. I know that there are people out there fighting to have it available for purchase all year round. For me, I when I think of eggnog, I think about how every Christmas Eve, my brother would make me pour the eggnog, which I’m pretty sure was only so he could watch me gag as I did so – but not this year! After 10 years, I’ve caught on. You can fool me! Do us a favour and vote on the Daily Poll, okay?!

No comments:

Post a Comment