Saturday, September 21, 2013

World Gratitude Day


Gratitude – “the quality of being thankful; readiness to show appreciation for and to return kindness.” Gratitude. A lost sentiment?

Today is World Gratitude Day, and I must say, it’s one that I think a lot of people need to work on! As I grow older, I fear that this act is lost on the generations following me. I’m even more fearful that this has happened to my own and older generations as well. You see, nowadays, I feel that everyone has this new sense of entitlement. Everyone “deserves” things. No one makes the little gestures anymore, because when they do, they aren’t appreciated. It’s sad. We (in the “developed world”) should be grateful we have what we do. We have clean air, fresh water, and basic human rights. We have social structures that provide us with education, jobs, and support when neither of those are available. We have the freedom to speak our minds, usually without legal consequences. Our possibilities are endless. And yet, we act ungracious. We are unappreciative of these amazing things, while millions around the globe lose their lives fighting for these very same luxuries.

I had a friend who used to go on and on about how the act of being grateful is dead. No one shows gratitude. It would frustrate him. But, he himself was probably one of the most ungrateful people I have ever met. Little gestures were lost on him; the larger ones were expected. I’ve never experienced anything like this before. How can one argue a lack of gratitude and not practice it themselves? I cannot tell you the hurt this unappreciative attitude has caused me during our friendship. I used to think it was something I had done; that I hadn’t done enough. I’d put myself out for this friend’s comfort, and been told my gesture wasn’t sufficient. Gratitude, I’m afraid, may very well be dead. But, that’s why today is so important. We need to keep this act alive. We need it to build friendships, communities, societies, countries, etc. We need it to bring the humanity back to humans. We need gratitude so that we can better appreciate the little things in life.

My Mother was one of the most gracious people I have ever known. She taught me about being appreciative. And, while I may not have always practiced it, as I get older I understand more than ever just how important it truly is. I am grateful for the 28 years I had with her before she was unfairly taken for me. I am grateful for the many laughs and tears I was able to share with her. I’m grateful for the friendships she encouraged me to build, and the people, as a result, who took care of me after she passed. I am grateful for my brother and my step-dad, who love me for who I am, and who have become my new reason to live each day. I am grateful for the rain when it falls, and the sun when it shines. I’m grateful for the roof over my head and the ability to provide food, water, and power for myself. I’m grateful for the luxury of a university education. I am grateful for every smile exchanged with a stranger on my walk to class, work, to meet with friends, etc. I am grateful to be alive and to carry my Mother’s legacy along my journey. I am grateful to be me.

The last words my Mother ever wrote were “I am thankful for everything in my life.” I am grateful that this is how she will forever be remembered.

What are you grateful for? Please vote on the Daily Poll to let us know.

No comments:

Post a Comment